Today there are officially 51 sleeps until Christmas Day and with this comes both excitement and trepidation.
Each year I promise myself I will not get caught up in the usual Christmas shopping debarcle and each year without fail I find myself deseperately wandering around crowded, noisy and horrid shopping malls on 24 December looking for just a little extra to add to a stocking or that last minute gift I totally forgot about.
I find this adds a somewhat sour taste to the whole day which was actually never ever intended as a commercialised gift contest.
What happened to that magic I experienced as a child when we would decorate the tree, place milk and cookies for Father Christmas, hang cards on string around the house and generally feel a sense of warmth during the Festive season??
Added to this is my annoying mind which wanders and insists on thinking of all those who have no one to be with or nothing worth celebrating and those working long hours in the malls right up until Christmas eve so that others can race around spending cash and then of course the animals who are abandoned, hungry or abused over the Festive season.
Is it just me who feels a sense of urgent and horrendous pain for people and creatures I dont even know??
There is however a brightness attached to my impending sense of gloom as my dear mum is initiating some of that Christmas magic again this year.
Christmas will be spent at my moms house which is infintely appropriate based on size and available amenities and my mom has a knack for turning a place into a wonderland with her creative streak.
What makes this all the more happy is that it is an open invite - no people politics welcome.
Come or dont but if you and yours are there you had better be merry - how fantastic!
This year I am also putting my own talents to good use in coming up with unique ideas for those who truly matter as opposed to grudge purchases of bright sparkly heavily laden boxes of mall gunk.
I'm feeling the love and inspiration already - yay yay yay!
So here is to preparing for a day that reminds me of a time more simple and finding that magic all over again.
1 comment:
it'll be fun, you'll see :)
Post a Comment