
I've done it again.
Each one of my existing 3 cats have been rescued in some manner and each time I added another to the family my mom would caution me as to the responsibilities which would of course fall on deaf ears.
The thing of it is that I am borderline deranged when it comes to animals.
My love for them and need to save and protect is so strong that it often outweighs common sense.
I was however rather pleased with myself at having accomplished a safe and happy environment for the passed 7 years for my 3 angels.
We all live in harmony and depsite being told that 3 cats in a fairly small space was ludicrous I had made it work.
That harmonious balance has been somewhat juggled in the last week.
I came across a mommy cat and her kittens at a vet. They had been abandoned by the owner and were essentially living in a 1m x 1m cage.
My heart was so sore that I once again shunned any advice and brought them all home.
The new little family is of course sectioned off privately away from my cats while I look for new homes.
I just love them to bits and they provide so much joy but the reality is:
1.)We are living in a home that constantly has baricades erected and the easy flow of the home is gone!
2.)Animals need a lot of love and care and I am juggling just one of me amongst 6 of them.
3.)I am getting too attached.
4.)We are going away for a week soon and I am a nervous wreck thinking about the logistics of all this.
Oh dear. I so wish I was callous and uncaring but if I know nothing else I do know myself and that will never be the case as far as animals are concerned.
I've decided that a cup of tea and making a list of what needs to be done is probably the best medicine right now.
When in doubt make lists!
Perhaps I'll go and pet the kittens for a bit too - they somehow make the bad melt away.
6 comments:
As a fellow cat person I would like to say to you - cat people are the best people! Don't beat yourself up about it taking the kitties in. I would have done the same. My feline head count at the moment is 9 at home, 1 wanderer and 4 kittens of almost 6 weeks old. Also 2 dogs of mine and 1 puppy which I am puppy sitting. Somehow things just seem to work out and I never apologise for being a cat lover because we seem to be in the minority! Well done and good luck finding good homes.
Its so nice to meet other feline fans and you are right about us being in the minority! I think you must be truly awesome caring for all those precious babies.
Keep on keeping on as you are an inspiration!
A big up for all the cat people!!! I love cats, but am more the practical type, where I will seriously consider all aspects before taking in a stray or kittens. But I feel I balance that out by getting SPCA cats when I'm looking for a cat.
Good on you for taking in the mom and kittens, even if it's difficult. And I love your approach - sit down and make a list. I also love lists!
PS:Momcat - respect to you for caring for all those animals - I think I would be exhausted from the sheer logistics of it all!
The little girl kitten went to a great home at friends of ours and two other friends are lined up to each take a boy kitten in late December. The problem is that my moms cat died unexpectedly last week and she is heart broken. I'm in two minds as to whether to hold on to the boys until she is mentally ready to take them. You can never replace a cat but I'm sure the boys would bring back some of the joy. Time will tell!
Dear Forever Feline,
You are not deranged, borderline or otherwise. You are a gentle soul, and it is too bad that there were not more people like you.
It is beyond my understanding why people can be so calloused as to dessert that mother and her babies.
What else COULD you have done but take them home with you?
How nice that you found good homes for them!
Would your Mom be satisfied just to take one of the boys?
It might be rather hard on her because I still find it hard to get another cat.
You are so right that another cat can't replace a lost one.
Most people do not understand that!
You are a dear soul and no way do you have a darned conscience. You have a tender one!!
Terry
Post a Comment