Friday, February 27, 2009

Unhappiness is...

I have had it today after a week of non stop dogs running through my palisade fence into my garden and pooing, yapping and chasing my cats.
When I speak to the owners they either do nothing or look at me as though I have crawled out of cheese or deliberately incite their dogs to chase my cats.
I am told by the chair lady that because the units are free hold we have no right to demand the dogs be leashed. Its a free for all kind of place.
What a lot of hog wash!
In that case I think I'll paint my unit purple and orange as opposed to all the others which are green and white and see how "free for all" she feels then!

I realise that living in a complex means being accepting of various walks of life and weird behaviour but just a little reciprocated respect might be nice.
We seem to have a mix of residents consisting of grumpy old people who are waiting for acceptance into retirement villages or young, loud, disruptive people or those with very naughty children and very few who we can identify with.

I find it really stressful every evening from 4-7pm when the kids run riot, the dogs run riot, the gate opens and closes non stop with people blaring their music and zooming around as they arrive home and of course my cats insist on sitting just outside my gate in harms way so that I panic non stop that they will be bitten or ridden over by kids on bicycles or old hags in their cars.

How I miss the days when I lived at my parents big, safe home on property large enough not to even know we had neighbours and a gate all of our own that closed behind us and shut out the rest of the world.
Why is it that we find ourselves in these over populated complexes??? What moron's idea of lifestyle was this??
Remember the days before complexes? Before quick shops and ATM's? The days when the TV test pattern kicked in at midnight?
Has our desire for 24/7 instant gratification perhaps caused this chaotic lifestyle we now find ourselves living in?

I feel an overwhelming sense that I do not belong in this time and would no longer like to be here.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Or a time when people actually had respect for each other? Sheeesh! I'm sorry. You'd think people could be a little more considerate.

I hope tomorrow is a better day!

Mama Feline said...

Hi Melissa. Thanks for your post. Yes I feel a little less harassed today. Deep breaths!

BioniKat said...

I feel for you really. My parents want me to buy into a complex which they consider is best for a single mom (not too much maintenance etc) but I just cannot living in close proximity to other people. I have my animals, my son loves playing his music super loud and my neighbours never complain because they just cannot hear. I suggest you set up your hosepipe and whenever the dogs come into the yard just spray them with water, they'll soon get the idea not to come in.

Mama Feline said...

Momcat I would strongly advise that you NOT buy into the complex. In most of them these days you need to tend to your own maintenance anyway or pay a hefty levy to have it done. It is also a false sense of security. Ecah time a resident breaches the security rules in any way they put us all at risk. There is no such thing as making yourself safe unless everyone sticks to the rules.
Ho hum!

Pia K said...

I can definitely relate to this, when did it all happen, the very less than considerate behaviour towards others?? Touch wood I live in a (more than) fairly good neighbourhood, but what happens when/if new not so nice neighbours move in on the other side of the fence. Or when I can't evade the silly ideas the community association we pay obligatory annual fees to impose upon us. I'm not the least bit interested in forming friendship with any neighbours here, I want my privacy and in return I allow you yours. And then let's be considerate since we have to live here together. It would however be very nice to be able to live on a property with neighbours nowhere near to be seen...

About introducing the older cats to the kittens, I wish I had some super solution but I've never had any real difficulties with that. I guess my older cats are so chasten to kitten appearing on a semi-regular basis. Some love them, some not-love them and some ignore them and that's it. One important thing though, is to show the older cats that they matter *the most*, cuddle and be extra attentive to their needs. Perhaps let them play a bit with the same toy as the kittens, let them share treats. And try not to make a big deal of it, "these small guys will be here for a while, that will not affect my affection for you, they're also excellent playfriends...:)*