My precious kittens are 4 days shy of 6 months old today and at the Vet to be neutered. I cant believe how quickly they are growing. I felt so bad not being able to give them food this morning. They were crying and jumping and begging and I had to ignore - I could have cried then already! Anyhow, we took them to Dr. Ernie at 7:30am and will be able to fetch them at 15:00pm today. I am told the procedure is far less invasive and severe for males than for females and they will not even require stitches. The cost is also a lot cheaper than they charge for females.
I still remember when Storm was sterilised all those years ago in Natal how upset I was. They battled to bring her round from anaesthetic and I had to bring her home all limp and in a terrible state and slowly bring her round. I put her on a blanket on top of a hot water bottle and just stroked her gently and talked to her gently until she started coming round. It was awful because she was walking backwards and growling and crying that entire night. I still thought the Vet was a bloody fool for anaesthetising so deeply and being so unable to assist. Makes one wonder about the quality of some Vets!
16:00pm
I still remember when Storm was sterilised all those years ago in Natal how upset I was. They battled to bring her round from anaesthetic and I had to bring her home all limp and in a terrible state and slowly bring her round. I put her on a blanket on top of a hot water bottle and just stroked her gently and talked to her gently until she started coming round. It was awful because she was walking backwards and growling and crying that entire night. I still thought the Vet was a bloody fool for anaesthetising so deeply and being so unable to assist. Makes one wonder about the quality of some Vets!
16:00pm
The babies are home! Only Casper was neutered as Budda's testicles had not yet dropped so they couldn't do the procedure. We need to take him back in a month or so and see what is happening then. He just wants to be a baby a little longer I think.
Casper is fine although he still seems a little sedated as his one eye is not completely open yet. He has eaten and found his toy mouse which he is now lying next to looking out at the trees on the patio. So sweet.
3 comments:
Boys are easier but still the being put under is rough.
As a layman you're really at the mercy and competence of vets and doctors, and if you haven't had any recommendations beforehand it's a jungle to get the right one I think. I too have had encounters with very, very less than competent vets, with one particular outcome that still haunts me.
You can neuter boys with not-yet-dropped-testicles (I've had kittens whose testicles went back up in some strange way), but it's more invasive. Fingers crossed they'll drop!
Hi Pia K! The Vet says we can wait another two months and if still not dropped he will do an op which is like you say more invasive.
What incident happened that haunts you?
Post a Comment