This Saturday marked a week since Casper had his head collar put on to prevent him from scratching and worsening the sores he has already created on his neck.
They had healed so well and things looked so promising that we took his collar off on Saturday afternoon.
Well he was very chuffed! He licked and bathed and licked some more.
Unfortunately he then started itching frantically again and scratching the wounds. One of them started to bleed again so I had to sit with him and keep holding back his back leg so he couldn't do worse harm. Andy was out cycling by this time so I could not get the collar back on and decided to give Casper one of the tranquilisers the vet had prescribed for when he gets into an itching frenzy. I expected him to calm down but instead he went psychotic! He was biting and scratching me and running around and jumping and his eyes looked freaky.
I was so freaked out that I phoned Andy who was luckily almost home anyway.
As soon as he got home he put the collar back onto Casper and then Casper slowly started calming and finally fell asleep next to us on the couch. It was a very hectic 2 hours prior to that though!
I am going to try a herbal pet remedy for itchy/irritated skin and see if that is possibly the solution for the longer term.
I already have him on the "Hills itchy skin" pellets and hope that all of this will see long term improvement.
For now though the collar stays ON!
3 comments:
Oh Casper! We are sorry that your neck is causing you such problems. We hope you heal quickly and the itching stops soon.
Thankyou for coming by and sending good thoughts to little Harry. He is feeling much better, which we are very thankful about.
I'm so sorry to hear that he's having such a hard time.
We have a cat, Loki, who hated to wear an ID collar and, as a result, literally scratched the fur off of his neck. To stop him from hurting his neck further, and also to train him into wearing an ID collar, we applied "Soft Paws" (aka Angel Paws) to his back claws. We had to do it off and on over the course of six months, but we were able to stop the scratching/wounding habit. You might want to try this in addition to medication. The wound medication our vet prescribed worked within days to heal the wounds and it is called "Tresaderm" and it must be refrigerated. I hope this helps!
Also, I'm sorry to hear about Storm. I miss my three older sweeties who all crossed over within a year and half of each other. It was sad times in our house.
Post a Comment