Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Hello Home!

Andy and I have been busy bees sorting out our home of late. The reality is that it would be rather crazy in this economic climate to get into a huge mortgage and possibly have a bigger home but sleepless nights if things got progressively worse in the economy. We also prefer to have spare cash available for fun things and not be bonded to the hilt. Its important to find ones own balance between having the best you can afford and still be able to live. We have therefore decided to stay in our lovely although slightly small home for the next two years and tidy up what we have.
To be honest we have a lot more than our folks had when they were newly wed! My mom tells the story of her and my dad boiling eggs in the kettle when they were first starting out. My dad was in his early twenties and finishing off his degree's and so they really battled for a while but they made the most if it, had fun and everything was always neat and tidy.
My mom used to find the most industrious ways of making ends meet and keeping things beautiful and the family well cared for on a shoe string budget in those days. I really have a lot of respect for her. She was always busy with something, be it making us tracksuits, pottery, baking biscuits or taking me for walks in my pram (we lived in Durban) and funnily enough I never wanted for anything.

Andy and I have a three bedroom, two bathroom, lounge, dining room, kitchen, patio and front and back garden with a garage and yet we have allowed it to gradually get messy and grubby. Shame on us!

Anyhow, we have replaced the carpets which caused me so much woe with stunning laminate flooring, bought a sleigh bed, fixed up the spare room which was a dumping zone into a lovely spare bedroom and bought and fixed various other little things. It really is looking quite lovely and we are both proud to live here again. Its amazing what a few relatively small changes can do for the overall look not to mention ones psyche!

Lots of pics of the before and after to follow soon!



3 comments:

Pop and Ice said...

Sounds lovely and I look forward to photos! We're still sprucing up our home even though we've been here five years. There's always something to do.

Mama Feline said...

I know what you mean! I have now noticed several doors and little patches inside which need a touch of paint - ho hum :)

Tamara said...

Sounds divine! Can't wait for the pics. I actually posted about our spare room makeover today too ;-)