Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Date and a Breathalyser on a Saturday Night

My Beau and I on our way out on a date.

The street in which the restaurant is located had fairy lights in all the plants.
So lovely!
Melville always has that magical feel about it.


Andy and I went on a date last night as it has been ages since we went out just the two of us to have some fun and forget about work etc. We went to see an evening movie, Alice In Wonderland. I thought it was very good but not as good as Avatar. We also had the most noisy, rude and awful children on either side of us in the cinema. I moved one seat down to try to drown out the horrific sniffing and snacking noises of the girl next to me which didn't help much and Andy eventually told the giggling girls on his side to Shhh! I tell you cinema etiquette is a thing of the passed. It was still worth seeing though.
We then drove to our favourite restaurant in Melville formerly known as "Soulsa" but after a lengthy legal battle regarding rights to the word "Soul" I say with tears in my big hazel eyes, they have been forced to change the name so it is now named "Lucky Bean".
The decor and menu are still the same and the wine is fab. We had a delicious meal in a
stunning setting upstairs on the balcony and just chatted about all sorts of things and enjoyed the evening. It is one of the few restaurants I know where one is able to order GOOD wine by the glass and are not obliged to buy a bottle which is super. Thing is our first glass each was so delish that I ordered us a second glass each. We always have a bottle of water with our wine to keep the hydration up and avoid getting smashed so the second glass went down just fine.
When we left Andy gave me the car key as I am a ridiculously nervous passenger and I laughed and made a joke that he just didn't want to lose his license if we were to be pulled over. Well that must have been a premonition of sorts! Just 2km down the road on our way home we were pulled over in a road block. The Traffic Officer was very pleasant, well spoken and left a respectable body space between us which was a breath of fresh air! There is nothing worse than having a big face squash through your window, sniff and then murder the English language while ogling your breasts and assaulting your nasal passage with their breath!
He asked for my drivers license which I produced and once he was happy with that he went round to inspect the vehicle license. Andy had just renewed it a few days earlier so it was still in the cubby hole awaiting a sticker for the windscreen. I explained this to the Officer and he inspected the license and was happy. I thought we would be on our way after that but he then dropped the bomb that I would need to accompany him across the road to the van to have a breathalyser. I just felt my heart pound and then drop right down through my shoes!!! I had visions of my mom receiving a call to say your 31 year old daughter who said she was out on a date with her Fiance is in fact in jail for a DUI offense. Oh eeek help! I was by no means drunk or unable to function after two glasses of red wine but I thought being short and not terribly weighty I was bound to be over the limit and I have to admit that while I had my faculties about me I could feel that I had consumed alcohol and was just slightly tiddly. I decided to stay calm and polite and Andy and I followed him across the road. Andy told me not to worry and that he would take care of things if there was a problem as he is an Attorney and would know how to handle the situation and who to call. I have never ever in my 13 years of driving had a breathalyser so I was pretty scared. The Officer explained what I had to do, gave me a sealed plastic pipe which he plugged into a machine and then said to me that the legal blood alcohol limit is 0.24. Should I be over this I would be arrested for driving under the influence and I believe that it becomes drunken driving at around 0.50. Oh my word!!!!
I took a deep breath, blew like hell and then watched the machine like my life depended on it. WOOOO HOOOO! The reading was only 0.12 and I was promptly given my drivers license back and told I was free to go but he did say we should not consume anymore alcohol. I quickly said we were on our way home straight to bed and only water would be consumed - hee hee.
It just made us realise that driving after too much alcohol is so not worth it and you will eventually get caught.
Its nice to know that there are decent Traffic Officers out there doing a good job at keeping the roads safer.
Andy and I got home, drank water, got into bed and chatted for ages about the night.
It felt good to reconnect :)

3 comments:

meowmeowmans said...

Glad you had such a nice night out, and that it did not include a night in jail! LOL.

Any news on how Kitty Shelter is doing after the bus incident?

Noll's Nip said...

Whew!

BioniKat said...

You looked very pretty for your night out. That was a scary situation with the breathalyser but at least you know what your reading is likely to be after two glasses of wine now.