My mom needed to buy groceries today so I decided to go along as I also needed a few items. We went to the big Super Spar in Retail Crossing. It was so busy and full of shoppers which is weird for mid month. Anyhow we were in an isle towards the back of the shop and I was looking intently at the insect repellent range trying to find some sort of non toxic ant trap as our kitchen is just over run with ants largely due to the cat biscuits that are always out.
My mom had also come over to help me look and just as I turned back to my trolley I saw an African woman with her hand on my handbag straps. I was a bit confused as in those split seconds I was still thinking no this cant be so I just said "hey....". She then stepped back and she and the African man that was with her pretended to be looking at something across from my trolley. They then sauntered off as though they were shopping but I stood staring after them as I just knew in my gut that something odd was going on. My mom saw my face and asked what happened and I told her and then she pointed out a potential third party who was also in and around us but had then also sauntered off as though he were shopping. We just kind of stood there and then I said well maybe I am overreacting but she definitely touched my bag but anyhow what can we do now so we carried on shopping. Just moments later I saw her and the guy running from the shop without any shopping and he was on his cell phone. They had kind of split but were both running for the door. My mom and I knew then that they had definitely tried to steal my bag!
After we had paid and were wheeling our trolleys out I said to my mom I want to tell the Manager so that he can be aware of what had happened and possibly have security monitoring the isles. I just started telling him what happened when he stopped me and said yes a black Gucci bag was stolen from a lady at 2:15pm. They must have abandoned the idea of my bag, moved onto the next isle, seen an opportunity, swiped the bag and I must have seen them running from the shop as they had done this. We gave him a description of them and he is going to identify them on the surveillance cameras in an attempt to stop them if they return but what are the odds that that will happen... zero to none I'd say and I say this because people are reluctant to say anything for fear of a huge racial argument breaking out. Even though I knew she had her hand on my bag I didn't exactly make a scene because I was already thinking ooh no it could turn ugly and that is precisely why these syndicates are so successful because they play the race card and everyone steps back.
How terrible that even when grocery shopping in broad daylight one needs to be on the alert.
I am so sick and tired of corruption and crime and quite frankly I don't buy this crap of shame they are underprivileged anymore. No they are just lazy criminals who refuse to work but want want want and so they steal.
I guarantee they will not only steal any cash that was in the handbag but also clone the credit cards and steal some more.
Ladies be very careful with your handbags and rather keep them on your person than in or draped on the trolley hook as it just takes a split second and your bag is gone. Then it is not only the horror of losing cash and cards but usually also ID books, driver license, car keys, house keys and not to mention ones lipstick!!!
3 comments:
Yes I always have my bag on my shoulder or in my hand and never leave it unzipped while looking or doing things. Unfortunately crime does pay and it's far more lucrative than an honest day's work! Glad you managed to avert such a loss, replacing and cancelling all the cards and goodies in your bag is a nightmare!
Well I have learnt a lesson which is to keep it on my person from now on. Luckily it was closed or she may have nicked my purse or keys or something. Just makes me very very cross and yes crime DOES pay because the criminals are so seldom brought to book. Even I who can be very brassy with people only managed a "hey" when what I should really have done was grab her and demand to know why her hand was on my bag!!!
Thank goodness you looked around then or you definitely would have lost your bag. We are civilised people and we find it hard to believe that people around us, looking totally normal are acting in such an uncivilised and antisocial fashion. I am sure you will be more aware of your surroundings from now on. Unfortunately we all have been taught to be vigilant by being involved in this type of petty crime activity.
Post a Comment