So.... today has been.... hairy! The vet decided that after 12 hours on the glucose drip and because he had been feeding well on the kitty milk in a bottle they would discharge him into my care tonight. I have written instructions now on what to feed, when and how, what to stop feeding, what and when to medicate and what to look out for as a red alert as to when to return to vet.
The kittens have now been upgraded from the bathroom to the spare room where I will sleep with them as I need to feed every 2 hours without fail. I also need to monitor their stools and make sure they are kept very very warm. Ginger's temperature was right down at 34 degrees Celsius when we arrived at the vet this morning and the normal temperature for a kitten is 39 degrees! This happened despite me having him on a hot water bottle with two very warm blankets. The glaucomic shock obviously added to his temperature plummeting but I'm taking no chances now. Bathrooms are just not the warmest with all the tiles so the spare room is ideal with a plush duvet, their own blankets, heater and carpets.
Shew! I will never again say that I would not make a good mom. I'll be feeding again at 10pm just before I also go to sleep and then setting my alarm for midnight, 2am, 4 am, 6am then I get up feed again at 8am, go to a meeting, get back around 11am and quickly feed and then carry on with 2 hourly feeds ie 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm, 9 pm etc etc for a good 3 days. The funny thing is I don't feel sorry for myself at all I just feel so happy that these babies are ok and live to fight another day and have a chance at making their way in the world.
I so love cats.
Thank goodness for Andy who is stepping up to the plate and helping with our 5 resident cats who no matter how old or mature or independent also need our love and care.
Will post photo's of our brood again soon.
Thanks for all the good wishes!
3 comments:
These babies are so very lucky to have you! Bless you for taking such great care of them. We wish you lots of luck and hope they all get big and strong very soon!
I'm glad Ginger is stabilised now and that both babies are getting such good care and attention from you. I hope you haven't got anything major planned for this weekend because with a feeding schedule like that, you are going to be exhausted!
Thanks again for the good wishes for our foster tots :)
My weekend is pretty much filled with kitties kitties kitties!
Post a Comment