Monday, May 31, 2010

Crime in Complexes

My brother and his girlfriend live in a golf estate complex which boasts "living the safe life" with maximum security and patrols. Interesting as his bike was stolen last year and last night while they were asleep thieves broke in and started to rob them. They had decided to camp in their lounge and watch Sunday night TV and had fallen asleep in there. Later they were woken by Security asking them if they were ok and discovered they had been robbed of a few items and then it seems the robbers were disturbed. The laptop they stole had been right next to my brothers girlfriends head which means they were literally breathing on her! Three other units were robbed as well. What gives?!? There was no sign of forced entry so the Domestic Worker is suspected of being bullied into leaving the sliding door unlocked which is sad and scary. I am so relieved that just a few possessions were taken and they were left sleeping and unharmed. They are however very shaken up and have packed a few items and will stay at my mom until the transfer of their home goes through in a few days. Good timing I guess but I hope they will take the much needed security measures which their new home needs very seriously now. Crime happens all over the world and I guess we need to be as aware and vigilant as we all possibly can be and never ease into the false security that these new age complexes promise.

2 comments:

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Thank heaven they are safe! I am so sorry to read this. Yes, it can happen any time, anywhere.

BioniKat said...

I'm sorry to hear this Tammy. Thieves will get in even with the best security. If they cant get in with stealth, they will get in with brute force. You remember last year, Bradley was sleeping in the lounge and the thieves took his cellphone from next to his head on the couch. My dogs were sleeping in the bedroom with me and even they didnt hear a thing! I'm relieved to hear that your brother and his girlfriend were not harmed physically.