Does anyone actually still know someone named "Dorris"???
I have to admit I have been called a "Dorris" on a few occasions and just this week I found myself thinking "Aaaargh lady you are such a Dorris" as I was emailing my response to her ludicrous suggestion.
It got me thinking ... where does the saying come from and what the eck did some poor lady called "Dorris" actually do... or perhaps not do... or say..... hmmmmmm?!
3 comments:
Dorris is bad. I don't know a Dorris.
I know 2 guys called Ettienne - which is fine. They're Afrikaans and it's not an unusual name. However - Facebook suggested a friend to me and her name was....wait for it...drum roll...ETTIENNETTE!
Ouch!
luckily I didn't know her and just clicked "ignore"
What the?!?! It seems that any male name can become a female name by the mere addition of "ette". Oh the mind boggles!
It could also be one of the classic "mom and dads names mixed" scenarios like Etteinne and Annette are proud to announce the arrival of Ettiennette!
EEEEEEEEK!
hee hee
Ja, my cousins are Akrikaans and named their kid a concoction of their names. Poor child. It's bad. But it's also one of a kind, so I won't mention it here.
I knew a Doris once. We used to use "Nigel" and "Wally" as the male equivalent. As in, "Don't be such a Nige!" I know a few Nigels now. Have had to stop with that namecalling. I don't know any Wallys though, I must admit.
Post a Comment