I work from a home office which means that one of the perks of my job is not having to fight traffic to get to my office. Many a morning I roll out of bed at 7:45am, brush teeth, put in my eyes, scrape hair back in a pony and make a dash from my bedroom across the lounge, down the short passage into my office and am seated at my desk downloading emails by 8am on the nose!
Now today was an unusual day as I had a meeting scheduled for 9am in Sandton. Anyone who is not familiar with Johannesburg and more specifically Northern Johannesburg new era CBD would not understand that to get to Sandton by 9am from my home which is only 15km's away is just nightmarish and will take the better part of 90 minutes an therefore entails an early morning start.
I duly set off on my journey and quickly found myself falling into the trap of being a stuck sheep and then deviating and trying other routes. Each time I deviated from my Navi's path plan the British voice of Jane would get hysterical and tell me to "turn around when possible" or the screen would flash "calculating new route" over and over again and then the remaining mileage to my destination would become more! I felt like I was in an action movie desperately trying to find the way to some or other hot zone where an entire city's population were anxiously awaiting my arrival to neutralise some or other chemical/biological THING!
I then got stuck on yet another deviation and noticed the lady behind me looked like she was straight out of a Bond film. Poker face, pouted lips, immaculate hair and makeup and driving a super fine chic vehicle. I kept watching and I tell you she never dropped the pout once!
As I approached my final 5km's of the trip the landscape looked like that of a war zone thanks to the road works. I imagined the several pedestrians who literally fell off the pavements into the pot hole infested roads right before my vehicle as civilian survivors of a war ravaged city, running, falling and seeking shelter. I imagined my vehicle as an armour plated tank......
Oooh wow what do you know! I had suddenly arrived at my client with a minute to spare and a mind in need of focus off movies and into Risk Management mode.
2 comments:
Wow! That really does sound like a movie plot :)
Your imagination was really running riot but at least it distracted you from the boredom of sitting in traffic. I often feel that we need an offroad vehicle just to travel on the tarred roads these days...or a horse!
Post a Comment