One of the downfalls to us being virtually last out of friends and family to embark on the parenthood path is that a lot of the good names are already taken. One of my favourite names for a girl is Olivia but Andrew's cousin has just had a little girl whom they named Olivia so that is out. We also quite liked Tatum but when we mentioned it to a good friend of ours she almost vomited saying it was an awful name and now no matter how I try to be objective about the name it is just no longer an option. I used to love the name Jade but so many people have named their daughters Jade in the last 5 years or so that it no longer seems special to me. I like the name Drew but Andy feels it would be corny almost like we tried to name our baby a derivative of his name and granted yes that has also now put me off.
We want a name that is classic, wont easily date, is fairly unique but not obscure or needing a degree to spell and that nobody close to us has already used. This is no easy feat.
I just think back to when I was in school and although my class mates parents of '77 and '78 may have thought they were being original when naming their children we always had at least 2 Michelle's, 2 Candice's, 2 Tammy's, 3 Tracey's, 2 Tanya's, about 5 or 6 Nicky type names from Nicolette to Nicoline to Nicola to Nicky to Niki, at least 2 Sally's and 2 Mandy's and then the Kristy, Kristen type names and for boys there were always Grants, Stevens, Wesley's, Craig's, Johns, Peters, Justin's and Jason's in every class!
And then I listen to the names of girls in school now and there seems to be a boom of Gabi's, Jenna's, Jessica's, Jades, Madison's, Caylee's, Megan's.
I guess names are just like that with boom periods.
Elizabeth is also a lovely name but maybe a little serious. I also like Charlotte but one of Andy's friends daughters is named that.
I love and adore the name Josh but a couple that we see quite often through friends of ours and with whom we are now forging a friendship have a son named Josh so that's not so cool anymore.
Annabelle was also a firm favourite of mine but another cousin of Andy's has a daughter named Annabelle and her surname is the same as ours so that is really not going to be OK.
I have now signed up for a name a day email from this baby name genie website and maybe just maybe in the next 240 odd days the perfect, not yet taken name will pop up :)
2 comments:
Congrats on the baby to be! I'm sure a beautiful name will be picked eventually :)
Ah Tam, don't stress too much about the name thing. My dad and his cousin were David, and aunty Loney was pipped at the post when my mum called Andy, Andrew, as she wanted to call Richard, Andrew. We thought Zack would be totally unique (and he is of course) but there are 3 Zack's (of varying spelling) in his class of 28 children !!!!! Choose a few names - don't tell anyone. Then announce it when baby is born :)
Post a Comment