Between Mama Naturals awesome baby checklist and a couple of other nice ones I have downloaded off the Internet and two in the back of preggie magazines that I read, I am going to take bits from each and compile our very own "Garratt Baby Checklist" to start working off. One that includes what we feel is necessary, what is available in our country and one that will suit our ideals, climate and lifestyle.
It may seem like I am jumping the gun a bit but the reality is that I am now just 1 week shy of half way through my pregnancy, I am just going to be getting bigger and less agile as the weeks go by so best to start moving furniture and packing cupboards while I am still fit and able and once we have a list on paper and can see the bigger picture we can start buying a few things a month and avoid one wham big bammy huge purchase all in one.
I think we are doing rather well so far with the bits and bobs we have bought but I think there may be a lot more "nice to haves" than "vitals" in our current preggie pack.
I'm also keeping my ears open to what friends/family really did use and find helpful and what they found to be completely unnecessary or just plain non user friendly so that I can try to avoid buying those things. I think that the words "pregnancy" and "baby" are no different to "wedding" when it comes to the number of suppliers there are with endless goodies and catch phrases to make you truly believe you need it all and price tags that go up by exponential percentages just because of these words. Take an ordinary plain white dress sold as a sundress. It would cost in the region of R500.00 but add the word wedding to it and that very same slip of material becomes R5000.00 and so it goes with baby goods. I have seen baby baths in catalogues going for upwards of R300.00 and my word if there is a pooh bear anywhere on it then you are looking at R700.00 but at the regular old local plastic shop you can buy the exact same plastic tub for R50.00 !
Madness!
I do however need to be aware that as an excited first time mommy to be I am susceptible to the gimmick goo so having my own list to keep me on track and disciplined will be a jolly good idea :)
No comments:
Post a Comment