There is nothing new under the sun (Ecclesiastes 1:9)
My Fiance' and I have recently read the series of books by Stephenie Meyer which focus on the intricate webs woven between the lives of humans, vampires and warewolves.
The books make for a fascinating read and a couple of exhausted days that follow as it is virtually impossible to put them down once you start. We both read well into the night eventually forcing ourselves to close the books and attempt sleep.
The only problem is, once you actually fall asleep your dreams are bound to be a continuance of this mystical story full of supernatural beings, so that when you wake you feel as though you have had a busy busy night and no rest at all.
My newfound vampire interest was further tweaked when we decided to dress up as vampires for Halloween and I came across some really enchanting information on the internet whilst searching for dress up ideas.
I have to admit this all has me rather intrigued and I spent a great deal of time searching for more information last night. My Fiance' finds this all rather amusing but did mention that it would not be wise to become obsessed with vampires!
This passing statement led me to ask a few questions of myself:
1.) Am I superstitious?
My immediate answer would be No! But upon futher review I do not open umbrella's indoors, I never walk under ladders, I prefer to avoid the number 13 and I have been known to touch wood. Hmmm... perhaps I am just a little superstitious afterall.
2.) Am I obsessive?
Once again I would say No! But... I have to admit I can not relax when the curtains are not perfectly lined up, the table is skew or I have been unable to wash my hands with regular monotony.
Eeek!
The realisation that I have the potential to become obsessed with a superstition was enough for me to call it quits on the vampire escapade for the night!
However, later on whilst lying in bed feeling restless and full of thoughts I couldn't help but to ask my Fiance' if he believed that vampires actually exist.
He replied no and that they are merely mystical creatures worthy of novels and movies.
I then asked him if he could conjure up a creature not yet thought of ie. excluding vampires, warewolves, fairies, aliens, goblins etc etc.
He gave this some thought and then said no to which I replied that surely this signifies a potential for the true existence of vampires because there is such vast and intricate information about vampires with many common threads no matter the source.
It was at this point that he said: there is nothing new under the sun, and proceeded to explain the source and meaning of this line and the reason why he could not come up with a new being.
This however has added more fuel to my thoughts that vampires may truly exist or at least have existed at some point in time. They are nothing new and not the mystical figment of an imagination but rather a real life phenomenon discovered and written about at some point in time and who continue to be recreated and modernised as the time passes.
Foolish, obsessed, crazy am I?
Perhaps, but i still think I make a decent argument for my supposition.
So what do I know for certain after all this deliberation?
Nothing more than this: My Fiance' will talk to me in the dark when I am off my head with outlandish thoughts and soothe me to the point of sleep, never resenting the sound of my slumberous breathing while he silently seeks sleep himself.
I have found my true love and mate.
2 comments:
Hey Tammy! Hmm... personally I was really drawn in by the thrill, romance, excitement, danger of the concept of vampires. That was year's ago when I watched a film called "Love at first bite" (ha ha - very cheesy), and then of course Gary Oldman in Bram Stoker's Dracula, was even more exciting.
I think there are two significant elements here : blood & sex. Alot of what we see in mainstream films and books is heterosexual vampire / human relations. Of course, there must be hoards of homosexual books (none of which I've read, so can't comment). This fuels our fascination with the vampire idea.
The other is (historical) fear. When I say that, what I mean is that we have a built in fear of things that bite. It's a survival instinct thing and I think, that the thrill of vampires is that you can get bitten and not die. Rather, you're transformed. This is where I think things have probably diverged from the historical origins of vampires.
I'm guessing that somewhere in history there were hoards of marauders who, once they'd captured their enemies/prey, would drink their blood. Spreading the rumour of this would make them even more feared! This slowly transformed into the goulish fairytales / fearful legends that we have today : people that live forever, that are shape-shifters, only live at night (when we can't see them very well), and will bite you and drink your blood if they find you. It was probably used on little kids to keep them inside after dark in the middle ages. (If you think that much of Europe and Britain was forested, then there were probably plenty of places for badduns to hide, and capture unsuspecting children out after dark..., nevermind weary travellers). I think that the vampire theme has also been picked up by a certain element of the goth circle. It's pretty scary really when you see what they get up to in places like Germany, but not surprising - people always want to push the boundaries. Compare them with idiots like Johnny Knoxville of Jackass, and you'll see it's everywhere.
Thanks for the post - some interesting thought candy :)
I think I must try read that book, and it's so sweet what you say about your fiance.
Post a Comment