My gran broke her hip in the early hours of Sunday morning, falling out of bed.
Someone asked us an interesting question: did she fall because her hip broke or did her hip break because she fell?? Interesting question and I suppose we will never really know.
This has really brought to the forefront of my mind all of those new year resolutions that I have allowed to fall by the wayside a week into each new year such as exercising, taking vitamins, giving up the odd cigarettes etc etc.
It has made me realise that I may think I take care of myself because I shave my legs, cream my skin, have facials, drink water, cut the dead ends of my hair, floss regularly and so on but I have been critically neglecting my foundation, that being my bones!
I think the crux of the matter is that it is never too late to start but the earlier and more diligent the care the better.
Prevention is after all better than cure.
I seem to have health bouts where I buy all the vitamins that advertisments punt to women like calcium, evening primrose, zinc, iron and all those good things which I take religiously for the first week or so and then grow bored with the regime and add the half empty bottles to the pile in the bathroom cabinet.
Well no more! What nonsense that a few minutes a day is too much or too boring when what is at stake is in actual fact the very core of me.
My mom and I decided that regular weight bearing exercise accompanied by vitamins and healthy foods is the order of the day from here on forth.
My gran has come round from her hip replacement operation and is still in ICU but stable which is a lot to be grateful for at the age of 88.
We are very much in the dark at the moment with regards the recovery period as each person heals and deals with this type of thing differently.
I suspect that the power of the mind will also play a significant role and I do hope she will be positive and assist her own healing as much as possible.
1 comment:
Shame, I'm so sorry to hear about your gran. I really hope she recovers well.
But what a good point about being diligent now, when we have the chance to prevent such things. We sometimes just have to DO IT.
Post a Comment