Monday, January 12, 2009

Mouthwatering Minestrone Soup


My Fiance' and I have been pigging out on junk for the last couple of weeks what with the Festive Season and various other parties.

By Sunday I was feeling decidedly toxic and unhealthy and was craving vegetables when I remembered that cabbage soup is a great soure of detoxification.


I bought some fresh ingredients and let the creativity flow in the kitchen last night along with my Fiance' which resulted in an awesome Minestrone soup with a beautifully light constituency which had both of us licking our chops and running back for seconds.

I even found myself scraping my bowl which is usually a pet hate of mine!


For those in the colder regions or even if you are in hot sunny parts of the world but feel like a healthy light option for a meal this is what I did:


Minestrone Soup ala Tamand

Serves 2-3 adults


- Slice a large onion into small pieces and saute with olive oil and garlic in a large pot.

- Cut stems off fresh broccoli and add bite size pieces to the pot.

- Take the outer leafs off the cabbage, slice into slivers and add to the pot all the while mixing the ingredients as though you are preparing a stir fry but not in a frying pan.

- Clean the carrots, cut into bite size pieces and add to the pot.

- Slice mushrooms or baby corn into thick slices and add to the pot.

- If you prefer a spicy soup add a small amount of curry powder or tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper and worcestershire sauce now.

- Add your seasoning or stock now. I used a packet of chicken noodle soup which worked really well!

- Ensure that all of the ingredients are well mixed and slightly browned. All of the above should be done on a med-high heat setting. I used number 5 on my stove top.

- Add 8 cups of water and a diced tomato and stir thoroughly again. Add some rocket leaves for extra flavour.

- Reduce your heat setting to medium, I used number 3 and allow to slowly bubble away for an hour. I did lift the lid and stir occasionally.

- After an hour, reduce the heat down to number 2 and allow to simmer for further 15 - 30 minutes.


Your soup is now ready to be devoured!

Buttery toast fingers are a delectable addition should you not be watching your waistline.


Bon appetite!

3 comments:

Prixie said...

yummy-licious!

Pia K said...

This sounds lovely, will bookmark:)

I read another cabbage recipe the other day that didn't sound *half bad* either, perhaps you'd like to try that too
http://teach77.wordpress.com/2009/01/11/lemongrass-and-cabbage-soup/

Mama Feline said...

Ooh thanks I'll check it out!