Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Umbilical Chord of Fruit

Has anyone else ever wished that fruit didnt have pips?
I adore all kinds of fruits, fresh, dried as well as olives but the pip is a damn nuisance.
It's very often a case of holding a sticky pip in ones hand until you can find a dustbin, waiting until no one is watching so you can remove the pip from your mouth and place it on a side plate or swallowing which we are led to believe is less than ideal.
While I realise that the pip is the vital core of the fruit and the whole reason why a fruit actually exists, is it not a bit like an umbilical chord??

A baby only needs the umbilical chord until birth which leads me to wonder if we will ever have miraculous fruit that loses its pip once ready for consumption. Hmmmm....
Until then I will happily pay the extra rands for the pitted selection.
Ah the joys of just plain chewing sans pip!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I particularly hate seeds in grapes, cos they're so small you can't avoid swallowing some. And a mango without a pip would be heaven!

Pia K said...

Oh yes, not my favourites, I agree that the worst ones are in grapes - when I was a child I heard that either trees would grow in your stomach or that these pips could cause appendicitis, neither very appealing... - they're so bitter too:/ Hate the ones in watermelons too, I always but gaija melons these days, they're so much easier to de-pip:)

Sarah said...

I believe the worst are in peaches. I hate having to eat around it, because eventually my fingers get more sticky than the fruit itself.

Mama Feline said...

And imagine how much more avocado there would be without that huge pip!

Tamara said...

You do get seedless grapes, you know. Would be nice to have seedless cherries too. And pomegranites - those are like 90% pips!