Thursday, February 12, 2009

Drama!

Well I am bushed!
I have been in Natal at head office all week and left at the crack of dawn this morning to get back to Jhb for meetings.
Got home, carried on working and then received a call from my mum.
You know those calls when as you answer you know something bad has happened, well this was one of those!
The way my mom said my name and her rapid breathing sent instant shivers down my spine.
All she managed to say was "Joe got caught in the boot, can you come?"
I raced over to find my mom with blood streaming down her face, clearly very upset and Joe the kitten in the bathroom, having just been released from the boot.

Long story short - my mom was unpacking her boot and the kittens had jumped in as they always do to explore when Mia the mommy cat jumped on the lid of the boot and slammed it shut on her kittens leg!
Joe obviously started screaming and his mom then panicked and started attacking him while he was still stuck.
My mom had to push her away and she bit my mom and then Joe scratched and bit my moms face in his panic as well.

Kitten Joe is now at the vet over night for x-rays and observation and my mom is home with antiseptic on her face and arm and having a jolly good glass of wine!
The vet will ring this evening to tell us what the outcome is.

Gosh talk about drama.
I am rather pleased that my immediate thought of finding a kitten severed in half did NOT turn out to be the case.
Now I just hope my mom is ok. She will be going to the doctor for an injection of anti- tet in the morning and I'm sure some pain killers will be needed too.
Her face is so swollen!

My poor mom and poor little Joe.

4 comments:

Pia K said...

Oh poor wee Joe!! And your mum of course, though she can at least make gerself heard in language known to most humans and didn't get stuck with her leg in the boot. Kittens/cats are such resilient amazing creatures so I really think and hope the outcome will be a good one in the end. My thoughts are with you.

BioniKat said...

So sorry that you, your mom and kitten Joe had to go through that. But thank goodness you are close enough to help. I had to go help my mom last year when she was sewing with her machine and sewed her finger and the needle broke off. Raced down, took her to the doctor and it turned out to be quite serious because he had to cut the finger tip to find the bit of needle. I couldnt watch cos I wanted to flake out but I was glad I was there to help her and get her home again.

Mama Feline said...

Hi Pia and Momcat. Little Joe has two fractures but because he is a kitten they will heal well and for now he will just be in a kind of traction instead of an operation. My mom is fetching him today and spending all weekend pampering the little man.
What a fright we got!
My mom looks like she was beaten up but she is also so tough and just carrying on the way she always does.
I think we will all be extra extra careful with boots, doors and anything that may harm them although who could have known this would happen.
Thanks for your messages :)

Pia K said...

Oh I'm glad to hear that!