Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Inconsolable Kitten

Today has been a little hectic.
I have this damn menstrual headache, what I think is an abscess under my tooth and an eye infection that has been threatening since last week so I'm feeling a little low.
Added to this I had to go out to client meetings today and leave the kittens alone for several hours.
I returned to a kitten who is totally inconsolable!
I cleaned out the cat sand, put down fresh food and water, stroked her, cuddled her, picked her up, tried to settle her in her bed but nothing helps and she (now named Stacey) continues to cry pitifully and scamper up and down my arm and then run madly around the room.

Oh my word this is most unsettling!
I wish she could tell me what she wants and needs. I am so fearful that my kitten is hungry since I was advised to stop her milk when she was vomiting. She feels lighter when I pick her up and I don't think she is 100% well yet.
The only thing I can think of is to take her back to the vet to check stool, weight etc etc and give me advice.
I feel so bad as I have now put her back in the room so that I can get a few things done as I fear I will step on her or the bigger cats might get hold of her while she is running around so madly.
The other kitten (now named Sally) is flourishing and becoming more independent and content every day.

What on earth could be going on with Stacey... I can't wait for tonight to pass so I can get help for her in the morning.
If any readers have any ideas or tips PLEASE feel free to share!
Momcat I'm hoping you read this!

The typing below is compliments of Stacey as she ran wildly across my keyboard. Poor tot!
'i999990 99

3 comments:

BioniKat said...

Sorry you are feeling so low - healthwise. Don't stress about kitty but she is far too young not to be having milk. What milk are you giving her. She should probably be having the proper kitten milk from the vet not cows milk. She might be having stomach cramps. How much was she vomiting and also check her stool when she is using the litter box - is it runny or solid? Usually if they are feeling very ill they stop eating and drinking altogether and that is more of a problem. She just sounds like she needs milk. You get the mothers milk replacement for kittens for about R100 a container which lasts quite long - powdered milk which you mix with water.

Unknown said...

Oh my, I would be just as stressed as you. If she's running around, even though she's not settling, that sounds like a good sign.

Mama Feline said...

Hi Momcat, thanks for always coming through with advice.
I had her on the milk replacement powder by Royal Canin but the vet told me to stop that last Friday night when I had them there with projectile vomiting and runny poo.
The vet diagnosed Coccodosis and gave me treatment and they were all fine again eating a paste and baby cat biscuits until yesterday when Stacey went nuts.
I had her at the vet this morning and they have kept her to gas her down and see what is going on. She scratches at her mouth frantically and screeches so they suspect a problem in her mouth but all of her teeth have already cut so its not teething.
I also have to separate the kittens because Stacey is suckling Sally's genitals and this causes huge problems. She is obviously looking for her mothers teet which makes me think should I just give her milk in a bottle again???
Added to all this upset my tooth is throbbing and one side of my face is swollen and I feel ever so slightly stressed. Help!

Kitty Cat: yes at least I could see she had energy and would not die through the night but she is very unhappy and its so frightening!