The kittens are 6 weeks old today and cuter and livelier than ever!
We had then on the couch with us last night while we watched Idols, Carte Blanche and the M-Net movie which was so nice as we could do what we enjoyed but still include the kittens.
That was until our adult male cat, Odi, decided to jump up as he probably also wanted to cuddle. He saw the kittens and stopped in his tracks and stared at them as though he would like to kill them with his piercing eyes. One of the kittens noticed him too and gave a tiny hiss and when I tried to pick him up he spat at me too.
This morning I had erected a barricade to my study door so that I could work without being closed in and the kittens couldn't get out but once again Odi jumped up on the barricade and looked at them like he would devour them in one foul swoop!
Oh heck! I thought it might be easier to introduce because they are tiny kittens and I imagined my adult cats would not find them threatening. I also assumed that the kittens would have no preconceived ideas and would not be afraid of the adult cats.
No such luck.
Does anyone have tips, advice or useful websites on introducing kittens to rather territorial adult cats??
3 comments:
Its just a process that needs to be worked through. Dont force the kittens on Odi. The kittens are not territorial yet and he will get used to them. I just treat my cats like kids and if one of the big ones tries to hit the babies (I've got a young female that hits), I just give them a tap and tell them 'No'. Dont worry too much. Its just a case of them getting used to each other.
I was hoping to gradually introduce now but odi doesn't seem ready.
Is it likely that he would pounce on them and bite them???
I've read in a cat magazine about a feline pheromone spray called Feliway, that helps with introducing new cats. Apparently available at vets. It gives off good cat scents and helps a whole household of cats mingle. It comes in a diffuser and a spray I think?
When that little kitten that I was looking for a home for, came to our place for a day, my adult female cat also took one look at it, hissed and ran. The same thing with the lady who took the cat - her adult male also hissed and looked ready to kill. But now slowly he's getting used to the kitten. He has tapped the kitten with his paws a few times, but I believe they are getting on.
Post a Comment