Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Headache Culprit

I have been a little scarce on my blog due in part to a heavy work load of late but also to a nasty and persistent headache. It has been in residence for about 2 weeks and yesterday at 2:30pm I did something I never do - took advantage of working from home and went to lie down. Well Andy woke me when he got home and I realised I had slept for the best part of 3 hours! He and my mom are quite concerned about what is causing this and I just cant seem to get enough sleep at the moment. I even thought I may be pregnant but that is so unlikely so I did some research on my new asthma pump and unbelievably came across a website dedicated to patients who discuss pros and cons of various medications. If I wasn't blown away to discover several posts by patients on Symbicort who all complain of my exact symptoms:
- Severe headache
- Nausea
- Back and neck pain
- Throat irritation
- Skin rash
- Exhaustion

Needless to say I didn't use it last night or this morning and low and behold my headache is lifting. It makes me mad as I visited the GP last Saturday when the rash on my face was looking very angry. I told her about all the symptoms and she dismissed any idea that it could be the asthma pump. Could she not take 5 minutes to have a look in her medical bible and check?!?! GP's seem to have lost touch with why they practice medicine and instead treat patients like cattle.

I'm hoping for better luck at the vet tomorrow as I take Storm for her follow up chemo injection. My poor baby is starting to lose her fur in certain patches and we noticed she had vomited up her breakfast today. Otherwise she seems well. Happy to snuggle up with us and even be close to the kittens.


3 comments:

Pia K said...

Oh I do know the problems about GP's, in Sweden too, far too many of them seem to be less and less interested in the patients, not very good at their job and I just think that's such a shame on many levels. I may be naive but I really thought that being a doctor, nurse or vet is somethig you study for just because you love and care for people or animals and want to help them feel better, relieve pain, make them well...

Good luck with little Storm's vet visit.

Mama Feline said...

Hi Pia K. Thats what I thought too but we are constantly let down. I think we have a better chance to get help from a vet than a GP! Have a great weekend :)

BioniKat said...

Hi FF, Sorry about the headache. I sometimes have persisting headaches. Find out from your pharmacist if there is an alternative medication to the one you have been prescribed and then insist that your GP let you try it. You have to live with the symptoms and GP's dont know everything. Sorry to hear that Stormy is battling.