Friday, August 28, 2009

A Brave Kitten Named Duff


Story courtesy of: ASPCA

If one cat’s will to live could outmatch the strength of a heavy canvas bag, then surely one little kitten in Spokane County, WA, has the courage of a lion. Last week, two maintenance workers were testing garage doors at an apartment complex when they heard the muffled sounds of a distressed kitten coming from a large, heavy canvas duffel bag. The workers unzipped the bag only to find a second zipped duffel bag inside. When they opened the second bag, they discovered a frightened orange kitten, whom they promptly named Duff.
After giving him a much-needed bath, the rescuers called the
Spokane County Regional Animal Protection Service (SCRAPS)—an ASPCA Mission: Orange partner agency—to pick up and care for the tiny, suffering kitten.
“Duff was very lucky to be found,” says Animal Protection Officer Nicole Montano. “He probably would have died that day.”
Spokane Valley resident Donivan Crews later confessed to SCRAPS that he placed the kitten in the duffel bags six days prior to discovery. Crews was charged with confinement in an unsafe manner.
But this story of cruel abandonment has a very happy ending. One of Duff’s knights in shining armor adopted the lucky feline, who’s now recovering in a truly loving home.
“We are so grateful for the heroes who not only rescued this kitten but also took him into their hearts and home,” says Jackie E. Bell, SCRAPS Development Coordinator. “Duff will always have his name as a reminder of how he overcame such a tough start in life.”

3 comments:

JC said...

Oh My ... I tell my four purr balls that I spoil them ... for all those that I can't.

I wish I could make all the bad people in the world go away. There simply is no reason for anyone to be mean to an animal ...

So glad that someone found him

My Riley was found in a box with his brothers and sisters. It was place in a school play yard. Someone had heard the mews and opened the box.

My Jasmine was on death row and someone saw her and took her to another rescue group.

Like I said, if I could ... I would ...

Tuck said...

It breaks my heart to read these stories. How could anyone do that to a little baby kitten. I hope the man who did that is punished. Thank goodness little Duff was found and adopted by those men. I hope he leads a happy life!

Mama Feline said...

Awful disgusting people hey! I post these things to create awareness and also because it had a happy ending which shows that as many horrid humans as there are there are also good cat loving folk like us :)