Thursday, October 22, 2009

Jackal Creek - Disgusting!

My brother and his girlfriend live in a really nice modern state of the art type complex called "Jackal Creek" in Johannesburg very near to Honeydew. When they moved in over a year ago two cats from the creek slowly crept into their home and hearts. They were injured and hungry and both my brother and his girlfriend gave them vet care, food and shelter and loads of love. They are now like their children and such a happy family unit.
The shocking news that the body corporate has decided that all pets must be gone within a year was told to me this passed weekend.
I feel so sorry for them as they are now forced to either move or put the pets down.
I think this is absolutely abominable as this was not a rule that was in place which they broke but is a brand new rule which the powers that be are imposing.
This complex has hundreds of units which means a whole lot of pets are going to potentially find themselves homeless or put down!!!!
If any one knows of effective ways to petition and to create public awareness of what this complex is doing please do let me know as I really want to try to stop this.
They could say that no more pets from here on forth but to do this to existing pets is just revolting.

5 comments:

Pia K said...

how awful, beyond awful!! and why?? i do hope it will get sorted in a civil and good manner, somehow - sharing one's life with animals is such a comfort and great blessing! i really loath the brainless, heartless people who don't see that.

BioniKat said...

Who makes the decisions in these places. I'm sure that if the majority of the homeowners took a stance against an unfair ruling, the body corporate would be forced to rethink. Aren't there any attorneys among the occupants. Just one more reason why I wont live in a complex. I hate being told how to live my life! Full stop.

Mama Feline said...

I have now discovered that the homeowners were told this is a rule but they neglected to convey the message to the tenants! Tenants make up a very large percentage of the total occupancy as many home owners bought units as a second property for investment/income purposes.
I think the tenants will need to out pressure on their landlords who will then in turn need to put pressure on the Body Corporate. This rule will probably see many tenants vacating and leave landlords seeking new good paying tenants. What a story!
That is also why my mom and I chose my complex as it is actually free hold which means we can do as we like but out of respect we keep our units the same colors and try to abide by rules that make co-habiting better although there are actually none. Oh how I long for a huge piece of land to save animals!

Tamara said...

You may want to read this info

It's written by one of the top sectional title lawyers in the country.

Mama Feline said...

Thanks Tamara!