I occasionally watch Carte Blanche on M-Net on Sunday nights and every time I do I take a heavy heart to bed with me.
I really enjoy the manner in which the programme digs down into the truthful nitty gritty of so many "taboo" topics and in most cases bring the criminals to book but it is most often terribly distressing.
Tonight we saw the vocal blunder of the head of the ANC youth league for the Free State where he states that racists are criminals and criminals should be killed. They are now gunning for "Jansen" who is trying to move on from the incidents which took place last year by a few Afrikaans male students. The students filmed what they called a cultural video which should have been received in a humorous light but given the precarious racial/political situation which prevails in SA this was at best a silly thing to do and more realistically an outrageous thing to do.
"Jansen" is an African male who is the VC of Free State University who is taking the view of lets not forget, but now move on and not judge every white student for a few's mistakes but he is being seriously maligned by his fellow Africans and the situation is terribly volatile.
Next we saw the very sad plight of rhino's who have been butchered and murdered for their horns which are sought after by rich overseas clients leading to impoverished and immoral South Africans committing these atrocities against such majestic animals.
Then we had a slot about human trafficking and the terrible situations that mainly women and young girls find themselves in.
I am rather grateful that there is a comedy viewing as the main movie tonight but realise the danger of burying my head in the ground and forgetting the world outside while I eat my sushi in a warm, safe, comfy house with all of my creature comforts and the awesome love and support of my family.
How can we as a nation make a difference against the horrors of the world? I'd like to hear your views.
2 comments:
Tammy, I do try to avoid the news if possible because while obviously we dont want to bury our heads, programmes like Carte Blanche will eventually make us feel that we cannot do anything as an individual and we become depressed. Its concentrated negativity. Look closer to home and help someone or some organisation in whatever way you can. If there is some organisation trying to assist with saving the rhinos then offer to do whatever you can to help. Put a button on your website to promote awareness. There is always some small things we can do as an individual that will mean a lot to someone else. The small acts of one man or woman can accomplish much.
Hi Momcat. Now this is great feedback which makes me feel a little more useful. I already do as much as I can in my immediate space for animals and then donate and click on buttons etc. I try to help my gardener and domestic as much as possible. I'm going to look for another project though... thanks!
Post a Comment