Saturday, January 23, 2010

Cats - back to five!


I attended a meeting at Kitty Shelter this morning (where Budda and Casper come from) to discuss how we will raise funds for 2010 as the Founder is such an amazing person and runs a truly phenomenal organisation but the reality is she needs sturdy and perpetual assistance now as no one person can fund all that she is doing.
The nice thing about Kitty Shelter is that when you go there you do not feel sad but quite upbeat as she has large runs and cages for the kitties where they can climb and run and jump and each one has a jungle gym and soft beds and toys and they are all fed on excellent food and receive only the best treatments and care.
There are regular visitors who come in to view and hopefully adopt the kitties or to buy goodies from the shop. The adoption fees are incredibly reasonable as they include vouchers for sterilisation and all vaccinations. Today it was heartwarming to see the utter adoration on the faces of the humans who adopted.
Please do have a look at the website:
http://www.kittyshelter.co.za/
If you would like to know more about donating or contributing you know where to find me :)
We will also be introducing a safe payment site for credit card donations for overseas people who would like to help. You would be amazed at how your "small change" can make a huge difference to organisations like this.

Now the really exciting news for me personally is that while I was there this little tiny baby girl kitten fell asleep in my arms and she was the last of her litter needing a home and so it was a done deal. I signed the paperwork and paid the adoption fee and will be able to fetch our little girl on Monday. She is a 10-12 week old tortoiseshell and just precious.
We already have a brand new pink plush kitty bed and the baby cat biscuits and many toys awaiting her arrival.
Names being thrown around by daddy and I so far are:
1.) Chiquita - because I like the name, my gran had a gorgeous cat also named this and this kittens sisters have all been given Russian names by their adoptive parents so perhaps she should be too.
2.) Nancy - because its a girly name and could be rather apt after the detective Nancy Drew as cats are just as curious as detectives.
3.) Stacey - because that was the name Andy gave to Budda before we knew he was a he and its a pretty name.
4.) Shelley after her tortoiseshell coat.
5.) Diva - because that is every gal's perogative.

Feel free to give your opinion :)

I really hope my two big boys wont be upset but I don't think so as we are finally adding a dainty girl back into the mix. Our precious Storm can never ever be replaced but we know she would approve of a little sister to take over swatting the boys when they are unruly. I'm almost 100% certain the kittens will have a blast with a little sister as they are so relaxed and loving and social. Got my fingers crossed.

Check back in on Monday for lots and lots of pics!

8 comments:

JC said...

How exciting !!!
I looked at the site. Very nice ... which kitten is she ?

Names ~ I named my new torie, Meredith. After the Grey's Anatomy star ... in one scene she says that she is all dark and twisty. Which my Meredith is. Just seemed like a good name plus I've always loved the name ... and for short, I call her Mere ..

Mama Feline said...

Hi JC. I couldnt actually see her on the site strangely enough but I'll post pics when I fetch her.
It is totally exciting :)
I think the name "Diva" is in the lead so far but its so weird because I also mentioned the name Tori tonight.
Lovely name.

Noll's Nip said...

That is wonderful. Nothing like a kitten to make you feel joy in your heart.

Anonymous said...

Chiquita :-)

Mama Feline said...

So far Chiquita and Diva are in the lead!

Pop and Ice said...

I vote for Stacey or Chiquita. I think I like Chiquita best you can can make that clicking sound with the back of your tongue while saying Chiquita! I also looked at the website and saw a precious Pepper kitten, shy just like my own Pepper. Although my Pepper is now a huge, roly-poly shy baby that spends most of his time with the dust bunnies under the bed. *eye roll*

Mama Feline said...

I also think Chiquita is brilliantly expressive :)
Cant wait to fetch her...... only a short while now.

BioniKat said...

Yay, you're getting another girl. So glad for you. Its amazing when you've got a few cats how easy it is to add another little one to the family. I'm sure the boys will be absolutely fine with her in a day or two. Your posts stopped feeding to my reader and I didnt notice. Naughty Blogger. Have reinstated them now tho. Looking forward to the pics of the little one.