Its funny how a little thing will spark a whole barrage of memories.
I made myself some toast with cheese and marmite this morning and suddenly remembered that Grandpa George loved that combination too and he would often make me lunch with fresh bread and delicious toppings.
He was known as the best sandwich maker in the family.
Then came high school and it was not "cool" to eat lunch and I would discard my sandwiches - how utterly ridiculous and how terrible of me! Luckily I got over that by mid high school but by that stage my mom had told grandpa not to worry to make lunch anymore. What silly things we do as youngsters all in the name of being cool and fitting in hey. I would come home ravenous and guts myself in the safety of home where no other teenagers could see. Oh please!
Then I thought of all sorts of other things about him and what a cool grandpa he was. During the school holidays he would make my brother and I cooked breakfasts and take us to the shops.
He was always pretty chilled out except on one occasion....
My brother and I were camping in the lounge which was next to his bedroom and having a movie and snack night. I'm sure it must have been during the school holidays. My mom was out at pottery classes I think and so my Grandparents were keeping an eye and ear on us from their granny flat.
Suddenly we saw this praying mantis flying around our heads and I started screaming as though I were being murdered and then my brother started screaming too. I tell you we could have just about raised the roof we were screaming so loud! My poor grandpa must have thought something terrible had happened and came tearing through the door into the lounge and then kind of stood there trying to take in the situation and that we were in fact absolutely fine with no intruder cutting our limbs off or anything terrible happening at all. Shame man I still remember the look on his face. He had had a terrible fright and was almost a grey/ash color from shock. Its the only time he ever shouted at us and it was purely out of fright. We then sat rather quietly and didn't make a peep for the rest of the night :)
He also used to say to us "do your job" and we would run and fetch his cigarettes and lighter and he would then pay us a cent or two from his jar of coins. Just a whole lot of silly things but as kids we loved it.
He also adored my dad as a son-in-law and when my dad died I remember my grandpa and I walked to the corner shop and he held my hand and said we all miss dad but now he will look out for me and that he loved me very much. I remember squeezing his hand as we crossed the road and feeling glad to have him.
He passed a long time ago already from cancer but these memories make it seem like he was here just yesterday.
How I wish life was a little less sad and I still had all the humans and animals of my family living and in my life but at least the memories will never die.
I really must sort out the photo box soon as well.
5 comments:
Those are good memories and I also still make cheese and marmite for myself and the kids. Its a staple. I have some good memories of my maternal grandparents. My grandfather died when I was very young and my gran when I was about 12 so they're childish memories but its comforting to have them.
That was a lovely post. Your Grandpa sounds like a great man.
How is Budda feeling?
Momcat: It certainly is comforting and I feel a bit sorry for kids who have no grandparents as they add a whole new dimension to our lives.
FF: Budda seems a lot more himself but he has what looks like a pink rash above his eyes leading to his ears. I'm wondering if he perhaps got a bit sunburnt as he is totally white??? I'm going to have to monitor the outdoor time during the day :(
What lovely memories you have ...
Now, get out there and buy a photo album or a frame ...
What a great post. Your grandpa sounded like a wonderful man.
Post a Comment