Saturday, April 24, 2010

Exhausted but getting there

Prince has taken up residence on our new cushion on our bed today.

Black and white kitten becoming very playful.
Ginger is sleeping now so no pics in case I wake him!


It has been two nights of the full time sleeping with kittens and 2 hourly feeds throughout the day and night and I have to admit I will never again wonder why new moms are always tired! My goodness I have had about 7 maybe 8 hours of sleep since Thursday morning and I am feeling it. I usually get a good 8 hours a night so this is torture for me but the good news is that Ginger is looking a lot better. His stools are more solid, feeding fairly well although not as much as the Vet and the Baby Cat Milk insert say he should be which is around 20ml of milk every 2 hours. At the moment he is drinking about 5-8ml every 2 hours. I just think that seen as though he looks stronger and is starting to play and is being kept very warm and safe with me at home, it would not be in his best interests to admit him again to be force fed which is very traumatic for him. I think he is doing OK really and I'll just keep trying to offer more and more milk and I have also put down the baby cat mouse food which is what he should be starting to eat now if he were perfectly healthy. He sniffs at it and stands in it and does end up eating the tiniest amounts which is at least a start to when he has to be weened off milk.
His black and white sister is becoming so very cute, playing with balls and rolling so she can have her tummy tickled. She seems to prefer eating larger amounts at lesser intervals so I also need to keep an eye that she is gaining weight but I think she is doing well too.
Its very scary being responsible for the lives of two such tiny creatures. I second guess myself all the time and agonise over millilitres of milk drunk. Shew! Being a mom is no easy task.
I remember Budda and Casper used to glug a full bottle each every time and they became real chubby babies in my care pretty quickly. I hope these two will follow suit soon.
It is bitterly cold and rainy here again today so we have oil heaters going and one in the kittens room to keep them snug. My 5 resident cats are all sleeping soundly in their favourite spots so at least I know they are all also happy.
I am very tempted to go and sleep with the kittens right now. Yawn!
Today's morning weigh in = 50.7 kg's.
I'm pleased! I've lost just over 3kg's in a week so I look set to meet my 50kg goal in good time.

5 comments:

Forever Foster said...

Oh my goodness! It sounds like these little ones are really putting you through the wringer! We are purring for them to keep growing stronger and healthier.

JC said...

Good to hear that the two are doing better. Hope the Ginger continues to gain weight.

Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

Really glad to hear the 2 kits are doing well. And congrats on your weight loss!

Noll's Nip said...

When I was a new mom, I quickly learned the wisdom of the advice to "sleep when the baby sleeps." At first, I cooked, cleaned and did all manner of household things and felt really good about "doing it all." But that didn't last but a couple of weeks...I soon learned to lie down when the baby napped. My advice, "catnip when the kitties nap" =^..^=

Margaret said...

Your kitties are so cute! Sending hugs your way.
Cat Mandu