Yesterday evening I was starting to feel quite worried, scared and despondent as feeding by syringe and bottle had not quite worked out and I could tell the kittens were hungry but just not able to get the sucking motion. I felt helpless and guilty at the same time. Everyone I asked gave me the same theoretical advice which I already knew but practically it was just not working. My sweet mom was just about ready to come over too. Then with Andy's encouragement to stay calm and that all would be OK, I tried again with the syringe and wet food, NOT milk, and wallah they suddenly took to it and ate and ate! I was thrilled that these tiny little tots were eating and would now be unlikely to die of starvation or dehydration during the night on my watch.
I gave them their last feed and wipe down at 10pm last night and put them in their snug bed. Thanks to a fellow blogger: Momcat, for the hot water bottle tip. I placed it under the layers of blankets so that it would be lovely and warm but not burn them.
I set my alarm for 2am to give them a feed but when I went through they were so fast asleep that I decided to rather leave them as I didn't want to start a routine which is perhaps not necessary. The home was so very peaceful at that time of the morning. I seldom move around at night at all so this was quite lovely to see. Andrew was fast asleep in bed with the white boys and Diva. Prince was asleep on the couch and Odi on the spare bed and of course the kittens were dreaming peacefully in their bed. It was quiet and serene. Just perfect! I went back to sleep and only heard a little peep at 5am. Its funny but true that no matter how much of a heavy sleeper one is, when alert for certain sounds you WILL hear them and wake up. I went through in my snug winter PJ's and robe and saw the two tots now awake. I was thrilled when they ate well again on the syringe. It was the most beautiful and rewarding experience this morning. They ate and almost let me know when they had had enough and then wiggled back to their bed and started going to sleep again. How precious! So now I know that when a kitten is well and properly fed it will go back to sleep on its own. I redid the hot water bottle and covered them and now I am in bed sipping coffee and feeling surprisingly awake for this time of morning.
Our foster feline families have all been so different. Mia the mommy cat and her boys were easy peesy because as long as I cared for her she took care of her babies and I just provided soft warm beds for them and played with them.
Budda and Casper loved the bottle and sucked it down in seconds. They were quite a lot more active too but I think they were a week or two older when we got them.
These babies now like a syringe and lots of sleep.
Aaaah felines!
p.s. morning weigh in is at 51.9kg's. Shifting slowly.
1 comment:
Happy family! Its quite nice to be awake early sometimes with the house to yourself and the family sleeping. Glad my tip worked a treat especially now that the colder weather seems to have kicked in.
Post a Comment