Wednesday, April 28, 2010

RIP Ginger Baby


Today I received the dreaded call that Ginger had passed away early this morning. I dropped the kittens off at the Shelter Owners (M's) home yesterday as arranged for her to take into her medical care as Ginger was up and down health wise and we had decided that he needed more medical care than I was able to give. Sometimes love and safety is not enough and this was one of those times. I was gutted when I got home and cried and vomited from upset but I thought it was the best decision to get Ginger healthy and ultimately place him in a stunning home. M called me last night to report that she had medicated and they had both eaten, not too much runny poo and were happily sleeping on the heating pad in the bed she had made for them. I felt elated and full of hope so when I got her call this morning and she told me this dreadful news it was like a blow to the head. I was alone at the time and collapsed in tears as the bond I had formed with both kitties was so strong and I lay awake most of last night missing them so to hear this was too much. Poor M is also just devastated. His little body has been taken to Onderstepoort for an autopsy so that we can identify the cause and take appropriate and correct action with his sister and any other kittens who may display the same symptoms at the shelter. I am dying to go and see little black and white but I cant right now.I had told Andrew I found it strange that Ginger and his black and white sister did not cuddle when they slept but M found black and white sleeping on Ginger when she found him dead so his little sister must have known he was very very sick and was comforting him. Man I am gutted. I just want to dig a hole and go away for a little while but I had meetings today and my mom has booked dinner and a show for all of us for tonight so I will put on my happy face and force myself to go forth and carry on as much as I just don't want to. Ginger, you had the sweetest face, you smelt like an innocent kitten, your meow was a melody and I loved you very much and was honoured to have had you in our home sweet baby boy.
Rest in peace.

7 comments:

Noll's Nip said...

You are a kind soul Tammy. I know no words can console you at this time. But know that little Ginger felt your love and kindness.

Kea said...

(((Hugs)))

I'm so sorry about Ginger, I had hoped he'd pull through, of course. I know sometimes it's just like that, that not everyone will survive, but it certainly doesn't make it easier.

At least he had so much love in his very short life, that's something.

Sending healing purrs and Light.

The Creek Cats said...

(((hugs))) I am so sorry to hear about the Ginger baby and I know how devestated you are. Take comfort in knowing you took great and gave lots of love to the baby. I hope your pain eases soon.

JC said...

You gave him love. He knew it.

I'm so sorry that he didn't make it. I so hope his sister will.

You are an absolute angel to open your home and your heart to this sweet little ones.

Know that you make a difference.

havetailwillwag said...

i'm so sorry about little ginger baby.. i know you did everything you could for him. i understand how you're feeling right now. it is the worst, saddest, downright shittiest feeling ever when you feel like you tried so hard and still couldn't save him. well sometimes we are just powerless in this huge world really and we all just do as much as we can. think of the ones that you have helped and saved. also think about how loved ginger baby was when he was with you. that's more than others get in a lifetime. he's not suffering anymore. there's a special place in heaven for innocent pure souls like kittens.

Milo and Alfie Marshall said...

We are so very sad and sorry to hear yoor noos. But at least little ginger knew wot real love felt like before he went to the bridge.

RIP little ginger.

BioniKat said...

I'm so sorry you lost little Ginger and that you had to carry on with your normal routine that day even though you were grieving. I have been in this situation. A lot of people dont understand grief for a beloved animal. We do. Thank you for giving him the love he needed in his short life.