I read a post by a blogger that I follow and saw her review of Hedwig's restaurant in Aloe Ridge Game Reserve (sorry I don't know how to add links to names that take you to the web page, tips welcome!). It sounded divine so off Andy and I went on Sunday for lunch. It was such a nice experience as it felt as though we were out of JHB but were in fact just 20km's from home. The drive was quick apart from the last 3km's on a rather rough dirt road. I love Andy's BMW but when it comes to dirt roads we realise the beamer is sadly lacking and were wishing for a JEEP! At one point we actually pulled over and allowed a chap and his lady who were in a 4x4 to just pass us. I was a bit hacked off at them driving on Andy's bumper butt as it was after all Sunday in a game reserve with a very low speed limit so whatever to them!
I was thrilled to see so many kitty cats in around the hotel once we arrived. They are clearly well fed!
We also spotted zebra and many baboons but it was so stinking hot so the rest of the wildlife must have been hiding out in shady secluded areas. We were well impressed with the little restaurant's menu, prices and service BUT it was terribly hot and there was no air con on so we assumed the unit was not working. There were several other patrons who were also clearly suffering from the heat and many had removed their shoes and were sticking their heads out of the windows. I had a very long top on that could pass as a dress so I surreptitiously removed my leggings at the table to try to cool off and ran ice blocks over my skin - ha ha ha have you ever!
Eventually an elderly lady behind us started blacking out due to the heat and only then did one of the staff turn on the air con much to the rest of our joy but also bewilderment. That was our only niggle for the day. The rest was fab! I was also pleased that there were vegetarian options for me.
We pigged out on calamari starter for me and a springbok and biltong with chocolate shaving starter for Andy followed by Quinoa and haloumi main for me and roast chickie for Andy and then the most delish desserts of vanilla ice cream topped with cracked black pepper and strawberries on the side and little taste teasers of creme brulee, chocolate brownie and other ice cream. Oooh la la I was a real piggie with a fat belly by the time we left!
Thanks Tamara for sharing the link to this place or I would never even have known it existed!
Have a fab week bloggers of the world .... toodles

1 comment:
It sounds like a wonderful outing and the food must have been delicious. I'm glad to see you and Andy looking so happy together. Well done.
Post a Comment