We have decided to actively market our home as our new home will probably be in our name by mid October and we have now decided against keeping our existing unit and leasing it out. I have felt all sorts of emotions surrounding leaving my current home as this was my haven from the world for 4 years and she has been good to me. I am ready to leave now though as I have spoken to her silently in my mind and she knows why and that it is nothing to do with her. We just need more space.
I read up on tips pertaining to showing ones home and how to sell quickly. There are so many ideas on the internet, some really helpful and good and others just plain bizarre. There are sites who almost seem like they should be wedding planners. They suggest contacting the Agent prior to the potential buyer viewing your home so you can find out something personal about them and then arrange a small personalised gift to give them as they leave. I'm sorry but if someone did that to me I would find it creepy and overkill.
So far I have taken on board the fairly well known tips like having a few well placed flower arrangements which have fresh smelling blooms but avoiding the type that are so pungent you're likely to send the potential buyer straight into an allergic reaction - hee hee. I also liked the advice on smells like fresh coffee brewing, vanilla essence, fresh linen smells and then other tips like facing all your folded towels the same way, having the water feature on to create harmony and peaceful vibes and of course everything spic and span.
I also used the tip on having a colour brochure available for potential buyers to take away with them including facts but also a few special items about your home from a personal view.
I decided against background music, baking cookies and putting the cats in a cattery!
We have recently painted inside so that was already done.
Now on the flip side if you are a buyer the tips available are the exact opposite of the tips given to sellers:
- Beware of background music that may be an attempt to drown out noise.
- Beware of smells like baking as it could be an attempt to disguise problematic odours.
- Beware of fresh coats of paint as it could be an attempt to hide damp or cracks.
etc etc etc.
So.... I guess go with your gut, keep it tidy and clean, put out a few little personal touches and don't overdo it just about sums up the safe route to follow so that effort is shown without making potential buyers think we are hiding something.
2 comments:
I agree on the paint thing. When I bought my house it had been newly painted but next rainy season the paint started coming off. Quite obviously a quick cheap coverup job. I think its best to just have your place looking as neat and tidy as possible.
in sweden the home-styling business is booming, on tv and irl. it think it's beyond ridiculous, i hate homes that look pimped and impersonal.
i think your ideas on how to make it look inviting for presumptive buyers are good. so best of luck on the sell!
Post a Comment