Ok so its been a week from hell with work travel and today saw me on the road at 6am on my way to yet another province. Got to my client by 10am, held meeting and was on my way to the next town by 1pm when I realised I felt sick from hunger. Screech! Emergency U-turn! Pull into shopping centre and order a take away from Steers. I ordered a veggie burger which cant be too unhealthy but faltered and added a side order of chips too but a bottle of water was my good deed for my bod as I decided against a fizzy drink.
Ok so I'm back on the road, shoving chips down my guzzle when I hear a broadcast on 5FM radio that the 2010 stats are in on the most obese nations of the world and SA came in at a staggering 3rd place!!!
Yikes!
I closed up the chip packet and took a huge swig of water.
Now I don't know how reliable these stats are but the truth is that nations are getting fatter and fatter with accompanying sedentary lifestyles which is no good. Smokers get all kinds of hell but has over eating become an acceptable addiction which goes unpunished by society???
I have been on the road a lot for business lately and it does prove to be a challenge when trying to maintain weight, health and energy levels when a pizza, pasta or burger take out is just so easy to grab and keep on the go but this is narrow minded. On my way back to the B&B tonight I stopped at a Woolies food zone and gave some thought to my meal for the night. I came away with 4 pieces of avo maki sushi in a handy little pack that included a sachet of soy sauce, a salad stick pack which is ultra handy as you can just grab sticks of carrots, cucumber etc without even needing a plate or utensil, a fruit salad full of the colourful fruits that are packed with antioxidants, bottled water and a small bag of pretzels as a slightly more healthy treat than crisps would have been. The shopping took me no longer than it would have taken to wait for a take away and I was moving my bod while walking the isles which is more exercise that sitting on a chair staring at the teller hoping she calls my take out number next!
Now I have no intention of denying myself a sauce with my pasta, but I'll opt for tomato based and not cream based, I will still have dressing on my salad but low oil sounds good to me and when I snack on cheese and biscuits while reading in bed I'll opt for a slimmers choice cheese every now and then and not always that delicious rich yellow creamy cheese.
And as I type there is an advertisement on the telly promoting KFC's new "creamy crusher" which is what they now call the new and better version of the previous low fat yogurt option.... tsk tsk.... maybe fast food joints should be prevented from advertising on telly just as cigarette companies were. Hmmm food for thought!
2 comments:
Let me guess... the US came in #1. This leads me to my post tomorrow on obese pets or more specifically MY obese pets. How interesting that you posted this!
Hee hee yes I'm afraid US is in first place followed by UK then SA and in 4th place is Australia.
I have one kitty that is bordering on obese and I'm worried! Will read your post :)
Post a Comment