Monday, October 12, 2009

Heart Warming Moments On The Road Today

Today was one of those days that makes me remember how vital it is to be empathetic and human towards each other in order to make the most of life.

I was on a road I should never have been on today but through a twist of fate whereby I had to get on the road to PMB via Andy's work and a traffic jam that made me slip down another road, I ended up at a place and time where I met a stranger who made me happy.
His name is Seth. I happened to look up straight into his eyes and he came over to my car window. He said "I am not selling anything and I wont harm you".
For some reason I opened my window.
He said he had an exam at UJ at 2pm and his car had broken down on the M1 and he needed R41 to get the car going just to get to his exam. He said he had put the last of his money for the month towards petrol that day and was stone cold broke!
I dont know what it was but I saw a truthful desperation in his eyes and so I told him I literally did not have one cent on me but to hop in and I'd drive to the ATM down the road and draw him money which I did and added a little extra just in case he needed it.
He was shocked at my helpful action but the relief in his eyes told me I had done the right thing.
In the two minute drive to the ATM I found out that he is a student originally from Natal and battling through in JHB and that he is studying a BComm in Marketing.
I sent him on his way with cash, a drink and hope that there are still people out there prepared to help a stranger.
I drove away feeling happier than I have in ages.

I also shared smiles with a truck driver and road workers on the road today and realised it is the simple things that count.

Good luck Seth and thank you to all the minimum wage workers who make our lives easier while they stand in the wind, rain, heat and get on with making a living.

5 comments:

BioniKat said...

I am glad that you were able to help a genuine person in need but please don't make a habit of doing that. A lot of people have got into big trouble and even lost their lives by simply picking up a hitchhiker and trying to do a good turn. Did you drop him back at his car?

Prixie said...

oh wow, this really warms my heart! somehow, i seem to be ruled my fear since i came back - and i truly fear for my safety. but wow, this is inspirational!

Tamara said...

See, I would probably do the same. And my husband would try to convince me that I'm being conned. But I always say...

Better to be occasionally conned than perpetually suspicious.

Glad you could help.

Forever Foster said...

That was such a lovely thing for you to do. Jake must have been so relieved. It would have been awful to have missed the exam after all that work!

Thanks for coming by our blog. It was great to meet you:)

Noll's Nip said...

We need to trust our instincts and it sounds like yours were right on target today. May your random act of kindness be an inspiration to this young man.